Ouray, Colorado – June 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 – 2017
THE WOMEN’S MOTORCYCLE SUMMIT
WESTERN ROCKIES EDITION
FEATURING THE FOLLOWING SPEAKERS & EXPERTS & AND AMERICA’S MOTO RALLY CHALLENGE
AMAZING WOMEN, FORGING FRIENDSHIPS AND RIDING.
4 DAY EVENT OVERVIEW (with a 5th day option):
Where is Ouray, Colorado?
- Located in the heart of the breathtaking San Juan Mountains of western Colorado, Ouray is
- 105 miles south of Grand Junction, Colorado on Hwy 550
- 89 Miles north of Durango, Colorado on Hwy 550
A Little Bit of Ouray History!
Originally established by miners chasing silver and gold in the surrounding mountains, the town of Ouray at one time boasted more horses and mules than people.
Centuries before the white man arrived, the Tabeguache Ute, a nomadic band, traveled to this idyllic setting in the summer months to hunt the abundant forest game and to soak in what they called “sacred miracle waters”.
The legend of Chief Ouray envelops the town that bears his name. He once lived in a small cabin at the foothills of the Amphitheater (now a historic landmark), soaked in the “sacred hot springs,” conducted native rituals and met with the Indian and white officials in Ouray. By and large, Chief Ouray garnered the respect of the Ute Indian Nation, the U.S. Government, and the Indian nations throughout North America because of his intelligence and diplomacy.
The “Switzerland of America”
Known as the “Switzerland of America” because of its setting at the narrow head of a valley, although Ouray is enclosed on three and a half sides by steep mountains, Hwy 550 from the north is a beautiful ride perfect for all motorcycle skill levels.
The San Juan Mountains are a high and rugged mountain range in the Rocky Mountains in southwestern Colorado, and is the largest mountain range in Colorado by area.
Ouray has also become a popular destination for motorcyclists, as it marks the beginning of the Million Dollar Highway and access to Colorado’s most scenic motorcycle riding. This stretch of highway connects Ouray to its neighboring cities of Silverton and Durango.
Riders will be treated to hours of riding and dozens of beautiful choices of road options during the Moto Rally (Day 2 & 3 of the 4-Day Event.) Suggested routes will take riders through breathtaking mountains, high desert, past alpine lakes, ghost towns and historic archeological sites like Mesa Verde or Chaco Canyon as they No other place in America offers this kind of riding in such a concentrated square mile area. You cannot miss this ride.
The 4-DAY EVENT will begin on Wednesday, June 7th at the Twin Peaks Lodge & Hot Springs, located in Ouray, Colorado. Riders will begin to gather by 1:00 pm to begin the check in process and be ready. The Blind Draw, Opening Ceremonies and the Meet N Greet will begin promptly at 2:00 pm. Location TBA.
Clinics will be offered at basecamp covering topics such as a Slow Skills Clinic, “Getting the Best Shot” Photo Clinic, Social Media How To’s Featuring Instagram and “GPS Training”.
Is the DURANGO/ SILVERTON TUESDAY Upgrade as exciting as it sounds?
Women who choose TUESDAY’S 5th-DAY OPTION at checkout will be overwhelmed with what we have planned.
- Meeting in Durango on Tuesday, June 6th. Time TBA – morning
- Ride the Million Dollar Highway together into the Twin Peaks Lodge basecamp.
- Be treated to a very special afternoon and evening..
- Wednesday am breakfast.
- More details TBA
Even more exciting than it’s sound.
DATE: Tuesday, June 6th, 2017
1 1/2 DAYS – 1 NIGHT Evening hosted by the Silverton Chamber of Commerce
- Explore these legendary Colorado cities, discover their beauty and visit many of the highlights.
- A Twisty riding clinic followed by a late lunch in Durango.
- 3pm will find you riding the 1st half of the Million Dollar Highway with women who share your thirst for adventure.
- Genuine warmth and thoughtful attention highlight your “SILVERTON EXPERIENCE” Tuesday evening.
- A very special S.T.R.O.N.G. Women Ride Wine Tasting – More info TBA
- Wednesday morning, after breakfast you’ll ride the 2nd half of the famous Hwy 550 with a photo op at the Summit of Red Mountain Pass and Bear Creek Falls.
- Arrive in Ouray in time for registration and the afternoon and evening festivities beginning with the evening meet and greet.
- Hosted by the Silverton Chamber of Commerce
OUR INVITE TO THE WORLD
A COLORADO MOTORCYCLE ADVENTURE
Chose a location below to FLY INTO, RENT A MOTORCYCLE, and RIDE TO the Women’s Motorcycle Summit.
RIDE THROUGH MILES & MILES OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL MOTORCYCLE RIDING HIGHWAYS IN NORTH AMERICA.
COLORADO LOCATIONS FOR MOTORCYCLE RENTALS
- 324 miles from Ouray to the Denver International Airport- MILE HIGH HARLEY RENTALS offers a FREE pick-up service for those renting a motorcycle.
- 300 + miles from Ouray to Denver EAGLERIDER MOTORCYCLES USA – Denver, Colorado Location (Rents all brands of motorcycles)
- 265 miles from Ouray to the Pueblo Memorial Airport- OUTPOST HARLEY-DAVIDSON offers a FREE pick-up service for those renting a motorcycle.
- 105 miles from Ouray to GRAND JUNCTION HARLEY-DAVIDSON.
- 100 + miles from Ouray to Grand Junction EAGLERIDER MOTORCYCLES USA – Grand Junction, Colorado Location (Rents all brands of motorcycles)
THERE WILL COME THAT MOMENT IN TIME WHERE IT WILL BE THE RIDE ITSELF THAT WILL FORCE CHANGE
THE BASE CAMP – TWIN PEAKS LODGE & HOT SPRINGS, OURAY, COLORADO
You will attend the 4-Day Women’s Motorcycle Summit (WMS) June 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, 2017 and enjoy your accommodations at the Base Camp at Twin Peaks Lodge, in the south end of Ouray with the women of the Steel Horse Sisterhood Women’s Motorcycle Summit.
ESSENTIALS TO BRING
- A competitive nature combining your skills of Ingenuity and Teamwork, Endurance and GRIT
- Your best spirit of altruism as we join together and practice the art of women mentoring women and serving people in the motorcycle community.
- A desire to experience the Magic of the Rocky Mountains.
What if I have people in my group that want other choices beside riding motorcycles?
Ouray offers hiking, hot springs swimming or soaking, horseback riding, shopping, art galleries, amazing restaurants, and many other ways to enjoy your time.
May I attend the Saturday Celebration if I am not attending the Summit?
Yes, the Saturday Celebration will be open to the public.
Are children allowed to attend the Women’s Motorcycle Summit?
Children will be allowed at the Saturday Celebration only. Age 16 – 20 may ride as a passenger in America’s Moto Rally.
Are pets allowed to attend the Women’s Motorcycle Summit?
Yes, many riders travel with small dogs. Please email email@example.com before you purchase your ticket.
I will be attending the Summit in my RV. Can we reserve a specific parking location? Camping? An alternative Motel or Hotel?
For those attendees who wish to Purchase the Women’s Motorcycle Summit Ticket and arrange accommodations outside of the Base Camp area we have included the links below for your convenience.
Ouray, Colorado Accommodations
Campgrounds and RV Parks
Hotels and Motels
What about trailer parking? We intend to trailer our bikes?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with your parking needs.
Can we bring our own alcohol into the Base Camp?
You cannot leave your rooms with alcohol that you have not purchased from the Twin Peaks Lodge. The entire campground is licensed as an onsale dealer. It is therefore illegal to bring outside alcohol into the Base Camp area outside of your rooms.
Can I bring my camera into the Base Camp?
Of course. We love cameras.
Parking in our Base Camp Areas will accommodate over 400 motorcycles.
Base Camp Locations
June 7th – 11th, 2017 The Colorado Rockies
Twin Peaks Lodge & Hot Springs Ouray, Colorado
How do we volunteer?
PLEASE NOTE IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT info@SteelHorseSisterhood.com
Experience the America’s Moto Rally!
RIDE SAFE! REDUCE YOUR RISK, WEAR A HELMET AND PROPER GEAR, RIDE AT YOUR OWN PACE & RETURN TO BASECAMP!
AND PLEASE, DON’T DRINK ALCOHOL OR SMOKE MARIJUANA, AND RIDE.
PHOTO CREDIT: CINDY KREBS-REVOIR
PHOTO LOCATION: COLORADO MONUMENT, GRAND JUNCTION, COLORADO